Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside

I love this time of year. The leaves are still on the trees here in D.C., but falling freely. The air is crisp. It smells like Thanksgiving, woodsmoke, and fresh starts, overlaid with a hint of winter.

What I don't love is trying to figure out what to wear for early morning runs, when the temps can range from the 30s (F) to the low 50s.

You think I would know by now, but I don't.

Lucky for me, I have this handy-dandy temperature chart (Excel file), from a post on dressing for winter running by blogger Joe Ely, over at my old pasttime, CompleteRunning.com.

The chart tells you what you need to wear for temps ranging from 63F to <10F. Of course you can customize it to suit your preferences, but I think Joe pretty much nailed it.

I downloaded this chart when it was first posted back in 2006, and it has saved me from having to think many times over.

And that my friends, is always a good thing.

Hope it helps you.

20 comments:

Rich said...

Thanks for the congrats on NYC. We're still on for the white rock half, right?!

ShirleyPerly said...

Someone needs to come up with something like this for triathletes who are wet from the swim and getting on a bike. I have not a clue what I should be wearing in 40 degs and then later when it gets to 60 degs. Lord help me this weekend!

Kelly said...

Ooo I like it. I haven't run out in the cold in a long time. Thanks!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Thanks for the chart! Now if I could just get my A@# outside to run. I love running in this weather. I am just in a wierd funk at the moment! arghhhhhhhhh

Petraruns said...

Oh I like. I just need a little sherpa to get all my stuff together for me each day and then I'm all set..

Susan said...

I am enjoying the fall weather, also! Of course, here it is in the 40's in the AM and 70's in the afternoon.

Rebecca said...

thanks for sharing this!

Runner Susan said...

Did you feel the love, Jeanne? Did you?

Runner Susan said...

When are you going to let me give you a blog?

Shawn said...

thank you thank you thank you for sharing this.. it's just awesome. Even though it rarely gets below 40 here I still struggle with not overdressing for runs (although I'm wearing running tights anytime the temp gets below 65 - I'm such a wimp!) I wonder if this same system works for biking...

peter said...

Beautiful picture of the Tidal Basin.

David said...

Great pic.
Joe will be ecstatic that you shared his running wardrobe matrix.
http://runwithperseverance.blogspot.com/

iJuls said...

Love the photo. I live in California so I have no real concept of COLD.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Gloves at 54 degrees? You people are soft!

Rainmaker said...

Wait, how is it that you go out and take a very nice and well composed picture of the Tidal basin with the cherry trees, but any other picture comes out like a underground blurrycam pic?

:)

peter said...

So how are the cool kids doing? Bout time for them to go into hibernation for the winter? I quit my club, BTW. Those cool kids did me in, with a vengeance.

21stCenturyMom said...

Target has gloves - 2 pair for a buck fifty! One solid, one striped. Awesome.

Calyx Meredith said...

I totally needed something like this. Not that I'm ever going to run when it's 10 degrees outside - but I am trying to stretch my boundaries as a fair weather runner. This helps!

Judi said...

i always over dress. but i'd rather be too warm than too cold.

Rachel said...

I don't like it when it's too cold but 50s-60s like we get in San Diego fall is perfect.