Friday, November 02, 2007

Why Do You Blog?

Someone asked me this perfectly natural question a week or so ago when I was in lovely Toronto at a conference, and I had to really stop and think.

I vaguely remember why I started it. I wanted to capture my journey from couch potato to marathoner. I was pretty damn sure one of the studios would find my blog, or at least a book publisher, and I'd be on. my. way.

So yes, becoming famous and wealthy was a goal. I'm a dreamer. Like John Lennon.

Then it turned into a dear diary. Then it became a way to keep up with all the many friends I'd made. Because somewhere along the way, it became a way to make friends. Some of the best friends I've ever had that I've never met came from this blog.

Does blogging sometimes just feel like a chore? A mind-numbing exercise in thinking? Trying to entertain, or engage you, the reader? Well, yes. (And I've heard most of you say this same thing about your blogs too. Come on, admit it.)

And how do you know when it's time to end?? (Not before Nov. 30!) Really, will there come a time when I'm just stick-a-fork-in-me-DONE?

Throughout these phases, I wanted always to use this blog to practice writing. I long to be a better writer, and I hear that practice makes perfect. I'm not sure that I'm putting the time in that I'd need to to really hone that skill. AND there are many (too many) times that I just dash off some thoughts ... sadly without much thought. Is that worthwhile too?

So what about it?

Why do you blog?

12 comments:

David said...

We must be siblings of some sort. I blog to hone my writing skills and to chronicle the pictures in my mind as captions of the life I lead as a runner.
The friends are the best though and I am sad when they stop blogging. It's like getting dumped or seeing someone move away or die.

Rich said...

So one day my kids will read it and see that their 'ol Pop didn't waste his life away burning a hole in the sofa, at least not after he turned 39.5

The RBF is icing.

Nancy Toby said...

Beats hell out of me.

How's THAT for some damn fine writing, eh?

21stCenturyMom said...

I wrote my first post about writing a blog - I think. I think at the time I was ready to tell all those young parents how it's really done and then I found the RBF and the triathlon and now I am just reporting in to my new friends.

I wonder sometimes if I'll get sick of it. Some people do and they stop blogging. I could happen!

LBTEPA said...

I did a post on this on Wednesday! But I'm still not sure why I do it...

Jank said...

Me?

To hear hte sound of one hand clapping.

Triseverance said...

I think I lacked positive reinforcement as a child. :)

Neese said...

my answer probably needs more space than here, but in a nutshell blogging was the "new" thing a few years ago and I'm a sucker for new things and want to be a part of it, buy it, try it, whatever....so since my running endeavor began as blogging was in the forefront of tech talk I thought what better way to log my running. In addition to this I'm a computer nut and graphics person so I like having my own "space" and to have my little running Neese nook on the internet has always thrilled me. I will have to be honest, once I start to feel I "have to write for the reader I get spooked and lose interest. It's like, it's too much pressure. So, I try to keep in the frame of mind of logging my runs, and if other stories or information flow out onto the page, then it does, but for no reason other than that was what I was feeling that day. I have been pleasantly surprised over the years how the community of bloggers have supported each other and that was something I had no idea would happen going into this....it's a little golden bonus. There are so many I would love to meet... perhaps some day we could have one giant IRL party.

David H. said...

I blog #1 because I used to keep a journal and don't anymore. And blogging -- right now -- became a way to hold myself accountable for running a marathon for the first time. I don't think I'll ever just stop the current one, but I'll probably be starting others soon.

Anonymous said...

i think you should combine a running blog and erotica. there's not enough of that around.
publish a fictionalised account of a slutty runner.

you know, scenes where gu is poured over bodies and licked off before the race or just at various water stations. have a trampy type into bloody nipples. i still think you can write that book.

but as a journo, you'll have to get over your fear of 'that'. c'mon. find the love. enjoy the subordinator role now.

iJuls said...

That's a good question. I might answer differently on any given day. I can certainly say that my blogging has connected me with so many fabulous people that I wouldn't otherwise "meet." I get to travel the world without suffering the motion sickness that flying induces. My blogging offers me an outlet for my feelings, thoughts, bragging...and a great support group too. Thanks.

Dori said...

You long to be a better writer? I think you're the best writer in the blogosphere! Seriously. Or rather, comically, since you're so damn funny!

But enough about you. I started to blog for a couple of reasons. One, to maintain a habit of writing, so that one day I'll actually write something. That backfired; I became a very lazy writer. Don't even look things up in Chicago anymore.

The other reason I started to blog was to have a conversation about running, because I can talk about running way longer than most people want to hear it! I didn't know I'd enjoy the social aspect as much. Sometimes when I haven't posted for a while it's hard to get started, and then I read blogs to get over my shyness.

I was afraid to start blogging at first, because I didn't want to get flamed. But the more RBF blogs I read, the nicer you all seemed and I took the risk. I'm so glad I did!